A laboratory is a place where phlebotomy services and diagnostic tests are performed. It can be standalone or inside clinics or hospitals. In the process, blood will be drawn by phlebotomists. The blood samples will then be sent to the specific division for testing.
Some laboratory divisions and their common laboratory services are the following:
- Chemistry does biochemical testing of body fluids such as urine, blood, feces, spinal fluid, etc. It is where urinalysis, creatinine, and glucose tests are done.
- Microbiology performs methods such as culturing and Gram stain to check parasites, bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms in the body.
- Hematology is the medical analysis of blood and its components. It is where your complete blood count or CBC is analyzed.
- Immunology is the medical study of the immune system, antibodies, etc. COVID-19 Testing and allergen tests are examples of tests here.
- Cytology is the examination of cells and cell morphology. It is used for the determination and screening of cancers and fetal anomalies. Your pap smear is another example of tests done here.
It is time to have more knowledge about lab work and diagnostics. Check out our medical clinic services in North Lauderdale, Florida.